Monday, January 22, 2007

Mumbai Marathon – Toast to the spirit of Mumbai - 21 Jan 07


Having snoozed the alarm a couple of times I woke up with a start at 6am with the fear that I ,might just miss the marathon. Although with the little sleep and the tiring schedules that I had been having over the past couple of days, I wouldn’t mind missing it. As I boarded the train to Churchgate the atmosphere around seemed charged. It didn’t really seem like a sleepy cozy winter Sunday morning as I saw a few people dressed in tracks and running shoes waiting for the train

The train ride was so peaceful and beautiful as it passed through the little green patches in Goregaon, Parle, Khar Bandra and all through ,I could seen the orange twilight of the dawn and orange sun shinning brightly.

The journey
When I got off the train at Marine lines station, I noticed a lot of more people walking in different colored t-shirts were walking along with me to the Corporate challenge area from where we would all began our run. As I walked through the lanes to Metro from Marine Lines, I couldn’t help but notice some of the most oldest and beautiful buildings across the road. They all seemed nice and bright this morning. I loved the smell of the fresh bread which was being baked at Kayani Bakery.

I spotted my gang all dressed in the orange T- shirt which I ignored to wear completely , I was running as part of my company contingent and running for Women`s cancer initiative After a wait of over a hour and half and a passing through various lines we finally began running

The Run—6 km (VT- Nariman Point- Mafatlal club- Flyover- Metro)
The atmosphere was charged, and wherever I looked I could just see people. At various spots we had the traditional dhool wala, people dressed in different outfits. Although the most annoying part was the hundreds of people who were walking not running, one had to find their way through this walking people. Maybe next year they should have a separate line for people who want to walk and not disrupt people who want to run.

The run from VT to Church gate was nothing phenomenal, except the running fountain at Flora fountain, but when I reached the bay area near Jazz By the Bay I was so taken aback by the beautiful view of Mumbai`s skyline. The sea seemed to wrapped in a thin fog and looked so peaceful and calm. I just couldn’t take my eyes off it all the way till I reached the Mafatlal baug near the flyover which we were supposed to take to get down to Metro. The only dangerous part of it was ensuring I don’t fall down as I was looking on the side instead of looking in the front. When I got on the flyover the view was ecstatic. On one side I could see a sea of people, the enthusiasm, the energy, and the other was the calm sea which seemed to be smiling just as the helicopters passed by.

When I got of the flyover and moved towards the Metro Cinema, I noticed the beautiful Fire temple. The old buildings, Braboun Irani café, the now not operational Parsi Dairy Farm. On one such neatly carved old building which was probably 5 storey tall, I noticed two old Parsi women chatting. I wondered how Bombay would have been for them 30-40 years ago. It was just about a 45 min run and I had seen another brighter side of Bombay
I saw the Bombay spirit in action as I walked back in to the holding area ground I saw a group of rag pickers standing with huge plastic bags urging me to put my plastic bottle in their bags

All in all, it was wonderful running for a marathon which gave me an opportunity to explore my city in a new light.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, nice post.

Read my take on the Mumbai Marathon, here.

Unknown said...

My friend and I did events together and today he is in charge of the marathon:)
Wish i had been there too

prince said...

Have you seen the new India search ngine
www.ByIndia.comthey added all the cool featurw of popular productslike MySpace,YouTube, Ebay,craigslist,etc.all for free to use and specifically for India.Anyone else try this yet? ByIndia.com First to Blend Search,Social Network,Video Sharing and Auctions Into One Seamless Product for Indian Internet Users.