Sunday, July 09, 2006

Football fling


I have never been a sports enthusiast, except watching a little bit of cricket. So when the FIFA World cup 2006 started, I looked at it with ridicule and thought it was crazy for people to stay awake and watch a game in which not even our country was playing. I had never really watched football, did not even know the rules of the game and did not even want to know. However, it all changed, my football fling could be no different than the typical Bollywood movie plot of girl meets boy, hates him, then suddenly something happens and both fall in love.

My affair with football actually began exactly one month ago. It was a relaxed Sunday evening, I was recovering from a bad flu and being tired of sitting at home just wanted to get out. Having convinced a townie friend of mine to come to suburbs, we chatted over chai and muffins at my favorite cafe- BBC. She started telling me about football and how she had been following it, although I had no real interest in the game, I wanted to know a little bit about it, coz I was running some contest on the football theme and information about the game, would just help me create some effective communication. Suddenly I was a little interested in the game, and as another football enthusiast friend joined us, it was decided to go and watch the match at some place. As the match began, it was a little embarrassing for my friends as they explained to me the rules of game using the salt and pepper bottles on the table. As that’s where it all began.

As some one who likes to learn about new things, I thought this would be something interesting to follow, although I did not watch all the matches, I continued to keep watching them on and off and sometimes it was boring, but sometimes it was fun. As we came closer to the end, the semifinals, I started looking forward to the matches and developed a sort of liking for it

Right now as I watch the finals between Italy and France, I do hope Italy wins and feel happy to have learned about a new game.I think I am going to continue my fling with football by following it with the English League coming up in August.