Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Case History- DADAJI



One Sunday evening, I accompanied Dadaji to the newly opened Positive Health Clinic, a homeopathic treatment center in my locality. What’s interesting about going to a homeopathic clinic is that, they prescribe you medicines according to the way you behave, your likes dislikes etc, thus as Dadaji gave his so called case history to the doctor, glimpses of his life just came in front of me and I decided to pen them down

Dadaji, Dada, Granpa these are probably the only words by which I refer my Dadaji. Dadaji is 83 years old but he still is one of those fortunate men who can ignite the hearts of women in any age group not only by his appearance but also his witty talks. This has been a constant phenomenon in his life, even before I was born.

It all probably began in the 20`s when Dadaji a, fair handsome young man hailing from Uttar Pradesh landed in Mumbai. He had stayed at various places from Tehri, to Agra to Mathura to complete his education, finally landing in Mumbai to make his dreams, or to just get out of the big family in Haldwani, Nainital. Granpa a son of a very well-known lawyer Brijbhushan Das, never really went to school. Teachers would come home to teach him.

W hen he arrived to Mumbai and slept outside in a chawl of his uncle’s house, women both young girls, ladies always had an eye on him and gossip letters were churned out to his mother stating that all the girls are behind him so its better to get him married. Finally an alliance was sought out and my grandmother (Ashru) a daughter of one of wealthiest gold merchants of Jhaver bazzar was chosen as a match. The wedding was supposedly very elaborate although it was held in the porch of the building, but the barattis were given stay at the Sea Green hotel which was a big thing in those days.

Dadaji has always had a very western approach or thinking in his life. He doesn’t believe in God, never agreed of old customs and most of all he liked to treat girls and boys equally (that’s probably the reason why his daughter and granddaughters are what they are today). He worked with companies like Marshal & Sons to APE Bellis, traveled the world on work from the time when such voyages could be undertaken only by ships. Dadaji is a total fitness freak, totally into making health food, walking, although his knees don’t allow him to walk to much now.


As a child I still remember when Dadaji would come to drop me to school or even when he would be a guest at any of social gatherings in college, work or outside I have been bombarded with compliments like, “Your Dadaji is so cute.. Your Dadaji is very handsome and smart”. To get compliments at the age of 80 plus is definitely something

Dadaji and me share a very special bond, from the time I could remember. When I was probably 3 years old and was living in Haldwani with parents, it was he who on one of his trips, had insisted my father on sending me to Mumbai for a better education, assuring him that he and Dadi would look after me till, papa could wind of and come to Mumbai.

I still remember walking with Dadaji every evening to the Taj cake shop; to buy his brown bread and then visiting the general store to buy me a packet of chocolate. Taking me to land of Mickey mouse(USA). Driving me to school, taking me on the poney ride at Bandstand, or to the train garden. Oh how could I forget the museum of my childhood photographs and reams of projector films that Dadaji had created which will help me preserve those wonderful memories through time.

Even today, by the grace of god this bond still exists. Interestingly, Dadaji`s birthday falls on 25 Dec, and he truly is my real life Santa Clause.I do hope that Dadaji, Satish Shah makes his century in full good health.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dhruti - this is beautfiul. I dont know what I could possibly add to it.

You might want to send to Shruti and Lily.. Hema

Anonymous said...

its a very touching article... and i really liked the caricature of your dadaji!!!

Tanuja said...

Dhruti.. this is truly beautiful.. Loved going through it..

Tanuja said...

Dhruti.. this is truly beautiful.. Loved going through it..